Saturday, August 8, 2009

Why I made the switch to stainless steel

I know that this whole BPA controversy with water bottles happened last year but I am only acting up on it now. Why? There are two reasons. 1) I've been drinking from these water bottles for years & I think I am still relatively healthy. You know the old saying, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Well I am trying to be more conscious of what I am putting into my body so that's why I am acting up now. 2) I always keep a water bottle in the car that I drink from and with the summer in tow, it can't be good that I am drinking water from a bottle that's been heated from sitting out in the sun and is probably in overdrive leaking BPA and other things into the water that I drink.

Bisphenol-A or BPA for short is like a female hormone (estrogen) and has been linked to reproductive and developmental damage. Even breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men! Research suggests that it could be linked to many other things as well but I think you could research anything to death and link just about anything together so make your own informed decision. My decision was that it was time for me to get a new water bottle.

So I did a little googling and here is what I found.
  1. BPA free plastic:
    Manufacturers have now come out with plastic bottles that are BPA free. The big controversy that continues with these types of bottles are, are these bottles leaking something else into the water that tests just haven't discovered yet? I mean how long did it take to discover this whole BPA shebang? With that in mind, I am steering away from plastic bottles.


  2. Aluminum:
    Sigg is the most popular bottle that's out there. It's almost the new Nalgene. However, I don't know if it's the best option. Siggs aluminum bottles and pretty much all other aluminum bottles made by other manufacturers are lined with plastic so it's safe to drink but people are questioning whether the lining is leaking harmful chemicals into the water. And we're back at square one. The other issue is that the aluminum could somehow leak into the water and cause another set of effects on the body. Hey it's been linked to Alzheimers! Very confusing! Sigg off course states that their bottles are very safe based on research studies but my personal decision is to stay away from aluminum.


  3. Stainless steel:
    Based on my research this seemed like the best option for me. As long as it's a good composition of stainless steel it seems like it's OK to drink out of. My googling suggested making sure your stainless steel bottle is grade 304 (food grade) or else it might contain a high composition of nickel which isn't good for you and has again been linked to doing bad things for your body.


  4. Glass:
    This actually seems like one of the best options if you're overly concerned about what you're drinking out of. It's also one of the cheaper options because all you have to do is buy a product that comes in a glass bottle (i.e. Snapple) and once you finish consuming, clean it and you're good to go. The big down side is convenience. i.e. it's fairly heavy and if you drop it, watch out! However, if you're a fairly un-clumsy person (definitely not me) or just keep your bottle in one area, this might be best for you. I am trying to remember the next time I use one, to save it & use in the car.


See, this water bottle stuff is serious business! I bought my stainless steel water bottle at Canadian Tire because they were on sale and because I had Canadian Tire money from pumping gas at their stations. At the end, I ended up paying about a $1 out of my pocket.

I did my own research and came to my own conclusions, I'd suggest everybody else do the same and do what they feel safe with.

0 comments: