Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Work Dilemma


What would you do if for the most part you enjoyed what you do at work but felt you were being underpaid. Like by at least $10k underpaid. Also there is abso-positively no way you could get a raise at work.

This is my current situation. I have days where I dread going into work but I think overall I enjoy what I do. I also feel like I should be making more. I've brought this up with my manager and there is absolutely nothing that can be done in this area. So here I am debating if I should work for the enjoyment of work or seek employment elsewhere. Is it even a good idea with the economy right now? The last thing I'd want is to quit my current job to start elsewhere only to find out the new company is doing cuts and I am one of those cuts.

I am at a point in my life where I am still single with no dependents and no loans. This means that I can get by on what I make and save a little. Only I feel like I could be saving more if I was at a different company doing my exact same job. Stupid 'what ifs'.

I said for the most part I like work but if given the choice of working or staying at home to watch t.v., I would pick the second. I see work as an ends to a means right now. That means is buying things like a house & eventually retiring and I am all for getting there sooner rather than later.

I've decided to get back to updating my resume & try putting it out there. Doesn't hurt to see if I have any other options.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'd agree with your last statement. I'd start polishing the resume and sending them out. You don't HAVE to take a job that is offered to you, but it would certainly help you to see what you're "worth" in the job market, and if it was with a really stable company I'd go for it. Sometimes you'll be surprised with how much BS you've put up with without even realizing it until you're somewhere else. And yes, $10,000 is no small number. I work for the government so I too am in a fixed income bracket, although we get tiny tiny raises each year. I've been looking for better opportunities and better pay elsewhere too. You're actually in a really great position because you don't NEED a new job, so there's no pressure on you. Good luck!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Doesn't hurt to see what's out there.

Things are picking up in Canada if that's any indication. Houses are selling pretty quick on my street now, and contracts seem to be coming in..